AT YOUTHCARE: We value hard work and dedication to helping young people experiencing homelessness move from survival mode into thriving and healthy young adulthood. We also value a sense of humor and respect of each other and the young people we serve. YouthCare serves young people of many racial and ethnic backgrounds, abilities, sexual orientations, gender identities, and religious beliefs, and we seek a workforce that reflects that diversity.
ABOUT YOUTHCARE: YouthCare builds confidence and self-sufficiency for young people experiencing homelessness ages 12-24 by providing a continuum of care that includes homelessness prevention, street outreach, basic services, emergency shelter, housing, counseling, education, and employment training. Founded in 1974 as a three-bed emergency shelter program, our continuum now operates across nine locations and a variety of community-based partnerships. Several of our programs are national models, and we are a leader locally and across the country in serving runaway young people and young people experiencing homelessness, as well as young people who have experience sexual exploitation.
ABOUT YouthCare Over-18 Housing Programs: This positions services 4 Over-18 Housing programs that serve clients up-to 18 months who are transitioning to becoming independent individuals and are ages 18-23.
POSITION SUMMARY: Under the supervision of the Program Manager - Employment Training, the Over-18 Housing Services Career Coordinator will move between all of YouthCare's Over-18 Housing Services Programs, offering services and support to a client base of young people. The Career Coordinator will work closely with each young person on overcoming their particular barriers to access education, job training programs, internships, and employment opportunities. The position also requires the Career Coordinator work closely with other service providers both within YouthCare and with external agencies and employers interested in employing or providing internships for young people. On occasion, the Career Coordinator may be asked to attend community meetings to discuss employment and facilitate Job Readiness Trainings for young people. Please note:
This position includes daily local travel primarily between our Main Office, University District Drop-in Center, and 4 housing locations all located with-in 4 miles of each other in the University District and North Seattle. Mileage reimbursement is available.
Though this position is supervised by the Employment Training Manager and is part of the Education and Employment Team, the Housing Services Career Coordinator also receives support and takes direction from the two Housing Program Managers that oversee the Housing Services programs.
- Recruit, assess, and enroll young people from residential programs into Clear Path and employment services.
- Work one-on-one with young people to develop and follow individualized employment and education plans that address and remove barriers to employment including skill-building and training needs, career guidance, and job support.
- Engage and collaborate with Case Managers, Youth Counselors, Program Managers and Program Supervisors within housing programs to identify and support clients in meeting their employment goals. Further coordinate with other Career Coordinators, employment programs, and employers to create opportunities for with both within and outside of the Agency.
- Provide individual and group employment support to program participants. This includes coordinating individual job search, conducting employability and career assessments, and conducting Job Club workshops.
- Create and facilitate professional readiness activities for clients including accompanying young people to local job fairs, workshops, college trips etc.
- Support young people utilizing strengths-based and harm reduction approaches.
- Participate and contribute to wrap-around services for client support services with internal and external teams.
- Complete and input all data and documentation, and submit reporting for grant in a timely manner.
- Develop and document service plans on participants, organize and maintain participant’s files, case notes, attainment documentation, and outcome reporting. Track outcomes and employment goals for participants on the database mandated by various contracts.
- Oversee 3-6 youth internships including preparing youth, meeting with supervisors, collecting timesheets, supervisor evaluations, and providing support to both the youth intern and the employer.
- Represent program to businesses, community, and the public.
- Prepare weekly reports (written or verbal) on participants’ progress and outcomes. Provide timely submission of client progress notes.
This job description is not intended to cover every aspect of your job at YouthCare. We are a team that works together to meet the needs of our clients and every member of the team is expected to pitch in and help even beyond the specific responsibilities listed in this description.