About Gender Diversity
Gender Diversity increases the awareness and understanding of the wide range of gender diversity in children, adolescents, and adults by providing family support, building community, increasing societal awareness, and improving the well-being for people of all gender identities and expressions. We offer over one dozen support groups for families and trans youth throughout the Puget Sound area, and have served more than 1,000 families since 2008. Recently, we’ve launched a new program, TransFamilies.org, designed to support parents of genderdiverse kids with message boards, online video support groups, and resources. Gender Diversity also has an exciting new teen leadership program, TYTAN, (Trans Youth Taking Action Now). Nationally, we provide school trainings and operate an annual conference called Gender Odyssey, which boasts a robust professional track as well as a thriving family track. All our programs are guided by the belief that providing support for, and information to, parents, teachers, and other professionals leads to better health and wellness for the child and the entire family.
is committed to ensuring equal opportunity for all employees and applicants and to maintaining a workplace environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or disability. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented and minority groups, and are committed to maintaining a diverse staff.
Gender Diversity is a non-profit organization recognized as a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) public charity.
We are excited to announce this new position. It is an important milestone in Gender Diversity’s growth and an opportunity to play an integral role in expanding Gender Diversity’s reach and impact. The Development & Communications Manager will be primarily responsible for shepherding Gender Diversity’s fundraising efforts, most critically by identifying and supporting the pursuit of new fundraising opportunities and leading the creation and dissemination of communications with donors, supporters, and other audiences. Because Gender Diversity is a small and growing non-profit organization, our key priority is building and maintaining relationships with individual donors and grant-making foundations.
The Development & Communications Manager will work closely with Gender Diversity’s Associate Director and will also coordinate with other Gender Diversity staff.
The Development & Communications Manager’s responsibilities will include:
• Driving and achieving year over year growth in donations from individual, foundations and grant funding support for Gender Diversity using existing levels as a benchmark
• Creating and executing a strategy for Gender Diversity’s growing base of year-round individual donors
• Liaising with foundations and funding organizations, and presenting Gender Diversity’s case for support
• Facilitating meetings between the Managing and Associate Directors and key current and prospective individual donors and foundations
• Assisting in the development of LOIs and proposals, including budget component
• Creating and managing a robust fundraising calendar
• Identifying and researching new fundraising opportunities
• Managing the annual giving campaigns and other fundraising events
• Ensuring and tracking timely donor receipts and acknowledgments
• Supporting small “friend-raising” events hosted by Gender Diversity donors
• Reviewing, updating, and managing the implementation of Gender Diversity’s communications plan
• Overseeing the creation, placement and dissemination of strategic communications for a range of audiences, including:
o Monthly newsletter
o Annual report o Donor communications and appeals
o Gender Diversity friends/funders brochure
• Identifying new opportunities for elevating Gender Diversity’s message, including speaking opportunities and opinion pieces
• Provide written and oral reports to the Managing Director and Board of Directors
• At least two years of experience driving growth in raised funds including individual donor solicitation, grants, and foundation funding
• Demonstrable understanding of the transgender youth and family communities
• Specific experience in non-profit fundraising including in the areas of:
o individual giving o grant research and writing o human rights, LGBTQ rights, youth advocacy, social justice, civil rights
• Bachelor’s degree or higher preferred but not required
Required Skills and Qualifications
• Highly motivated self-starter with a strong desire to increase their capacity as they outdo themselves year over year
• Knowledge of fundraising best practices
• Excellent written and oral communication
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Exceptional organizational and time management skills
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and meet deadlines
• High level of attention to detail, including accuracy
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
• Cultural sensitivity
• Commitment to human rights
If you have any of these additional skills or areas of experience, please do let us know in your application:
• A network of transferable relationships with individual and/or organizational philanthropists who would be interested in supporting the work of Gender Diversity
• Experience interacting with small and family foundations
• Graphic design skills
• Experience in WordPress
• Experience in Salesforce
• Experience with MailChimp, MyEmma, or other email marketing services
• LGBTQ+ rights background
• Event planning experience
This is a full-time exempt position, which reports to the Associate Director. The starting base salary will be commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter with salary requirements, resume, 2-3 work samples (for example, an LOI, donor appeal, article, blog post, or brochure), and a list of three references to info@GenderDiversity.org
with subject line “Your First and Last Name: Development & Communications Manager Application.” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and accepted until the position is filled. Please note, Gender Diversity prefers to fill this opening immediately.