Under general supervision, provides the full range of comprehensive administrative office support work to an executive director of a department or similar level, requiring the application of specialized technical/administrative knowledge and the exercise of initiative, independent judgment and decision making. It is distinguished from the Senior Administrative Specialist and Project Administration Specialist in that the major duties performed are more administrative in nature and secretarial/clerical duties may be performed less frequently with notable accountability for the work results; and positions generally spend more time performing and/or coordinating administrative support functions such as: serves as liaison with regard to programs, policies, procedures, and assigned functions for the department; coordinates executive directors schedules and meeting calendars; coordinates department's process flow; coordinates departmental budget development and quarterly budget reporting; coordinates purchasing and financial issues and contracts; makes process improvement decisions, and at times, takes the lead role on assigned projects; coordinates communications with other agency departments, divisions, and outside agencies on behalf of the executive director and the department; coordinates department status report for executive director, CEO and deputy CEO; and coordinates personnel processes for the department.
This job posting may be used to fill multiple positions.
The following duties ARE NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
- Serves as first point of contact between the department/program and external entities; receives inquiries and complaints from a variety of sources; provides information and assistance including responding to sensitive requests for information and assistance; gathers information and prepares letters, reports or memoranda in response to complex or general issues; prepares reports and supporting documentation on issues external to the department or issues having a high impact on the department and Agency; collects and compiles statistical, financial and other information for a variety of reports.
- Performs and/or coordinates administrative/technical duties for an executive director or other similar level position within the department; researches and composes documents and/or correspondence for review/signature; prepares selected correspondence, manuals, reports as directed; reviews and checks documents and records for accuracy, completeness, and conformance with applicable rules and regulations; prepares and files legal pleadings in accordance with court rules as appliable, prepares and/or assists in the preparation of agendas, notices, minutes, announcements, applications, resolutions and other documents; prepares executive director for meetings by ensuring she/he has support materials needed for each meeting; provides calendar printout of daily meeting schedule; and coordinates all meeting logistics, car reservations, directions, room reservations, equipment, beverages and meals.
- Performs administrative support duties such as maintaining meeting calendars; sorting and distributing department and executive directors mail as appropriate; taking and transcribing minutes for meetings; coordinates and monitors defined projects and activities within department, and recommends actions and modifications as appropriate; maintains records of departmental expenditures; assists in preparation of department budget estimates; collects and compiles statistical, financial and other information for special or periodic reports; manages departmental contract processes and proactively advises managers of contract deadlines; initiates and troubleshoots invoice payments and change orders, as well as processing agency-wide dues/memberships, via intra-departmental collaboration; financial troubleshooting
- Ensures department administrative functions run smoothly; provides direct support to executive director's office activities and functions, as well as assistance to staff when needed, and especially in divisions that do not have administrative help; operates a variety of office equipment; acts as contact for all business machine issues; utilizes various computer applications and software packages; oversees the ordering of supplies and stocking of department; updates and maintains databases; performs special assignments to include research, gathering records for public disclosure, providing documents for construction claims and/or discovery for litigation; manages project deadlines, files and information for condemnation, cost recovery project and other issues as needed; serves as liaison for outside counsel for information gathering; coordinates and assists with a variety of department personnel related functions including coordinating personnel process for the department, handling confidential employee information, and ensures new employees have the equipment, software, supplies and basic information needed to work at Sound Transit; provides basic training to new department administrative support staff; and maintains and updates department training notebook; coordinates staff travel including completion of travel preauthorization form, travel expense claim and travel card reconciliation; ensures travelers understand Sound Transit travel policy; manages the executive director's office organization and filing, which includes highly sensitive files; ensures compliance with records management policies and procedures; responsible for SharePoint site organization and updates; and plans and organizes department events.
- Oversees the operation of the department office and makes recommendations for efficiencies; maintains complex filing systems; monitors effectiveness of current office procedures and determines the need to change procedures to meet department goals/needs; writes office management procedures; provides guidance to support staff including training, assigning work and monitoring performance; and coordinates department office space planning ensuring cubicle space is available when needed for employees, consultants and auditors.
- Provides support to the Executive Director and others as assigned; serves on a variety of committees as assigned; attends and participates in professional group meetings; maintains awareness of new trends and developments in the fields related to area of assignment; incorporates new developments as appropriate; ensures processes, policies and practices are interpreted and applied consistently and effectively; ensures accountability and compliance with all current and applicable state and federal laws, Agency policies and procedures, rules and regulations.
Click here for more information.