Amara works to ensure that every child in foster care has the love, support, and comfort of a committed family – as quickly as possible, and for as long as each child needs. We work with foster and adoptive families who are committed to caring for children, whether for a month, a year, or a lifetime. Due to program growth, we are seeking a new Foster Care Specialist to become an integral and valued part of our clinical team working to achieve Amara’s vision. Although based out of our Seattle office, this position will flex between our Seattle and Tacoma offices serving families in both King and Pierce County.
Amara believes that a diverse and inclusive workplace enhances our ability to fulfill our mission. We strive for equity and justice in the way people are treated and the opportunities they have to succeed by working to address racism, prejudice, unequal treatment and other barriers to inclusion. We strongly encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds (including communities of color, the LGBT community, veterans, and people with disabilities) to apply and join us in our work.
This individual will be responsible for providing a wide range of services on behalf of children in need of permanency, including:
- Foster family licensing, preparation and home study assessment
- Post-placement monitoring and family support
- Ensuring that the physical, emotional, and social needs of foster children placed in Amara foster homes are met
- Liaising with multiple professionals in the child welfare arena
- Participating in the facilitation of family trainings and support groups
- Meeting requirements for timely, accurate, and thorough documentation for case files
- Making referrals for services for children and families
- Attending and participating in staff meetings and trainings as required
- Flexing hours to accommodate family needs on an occasional and ongoing basis
- Bachelor’s degree and two years of paid social service experience – or – a master’s degree and one year of paid social service experience. A practicum may be considered as a substitute for one year of paid experience. Degree(s) must be in social services, human services, behavioral science, or an allied field.
- Knowledge of child development and family systems
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills; experience writing home studies and/or knowledge of the SAFE (Structured Assessment Family Evaluation) home study model a plus
- Ability to demonstrate initiative, discretion, maturity, flexibility and independent judgment
- Cross-cultural competence relative to age, religion, race, culture, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, and gender identity
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to work in tandem with an outstanding professional team
- A valid Washington State driver’s license, reliable vehicle, and proof of auto insurance
Salary and Benefits
$48,000-$52,000, DOE. Generous personal leave and benefits package, including paid time off, paid sabbatical, health, vision and dental insurance, 401k with a company match, life and disability insurance.
To express your interest in this position, please send your resume, a professional writing sample of 1-5 pages, and a one-page cover letter indicating why this position is the right opportunity for you. Resumes submitted without a cover letter and writing sample will not be considered.
Please submit materials via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words “Foster Care Specialist-Seattle/Tacoma” in the subject line of your submission. No phone calls, please.
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Amara is an Equal Opportunity Employer