About the Chamber:
The Seattle Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce is the largest independent business and employer association in the region. The Chamber engages the innovation and entrepreneurship of its members to create a strong economy, advocate for a vital business environment, and build sustainable and healthy communities in the Seattle region.
This position leads the Chamber’s government relations and public affairs efforts. This position is a member of the Chamber’s management team and oversees the External Relations department.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Oversee government relations strategy development and implementation, public affairs coalition building, and advocacy campaigns.
- Provide direction to External Relations staff, the Chamber’s contract state government lobbyist and other consultants as assigned.
- Work closely with the Chamber’s Board, Executive Committee, and Policy Leadership Group to examine key public policy issues.
- Build productive relationships with key business associations, local chambers, and trade associations to advance Chamber government relations and communications objectives.
- Manage coalition partnerships on key strategic initiatives and policy issues.
- Serve as a key liaison to elected officials about the Chamber, its programs, its policy positions, and the needs of the business community.
- Work with the Events and Programs department to plan policy-related events, help develop agendas, generate sponsorships, and recruit key participants (e.g. elected officials) for signature programs.
- Work with the Marketing and Communications department on communicating the Chamber’s political and policy positions to the media, members, and the broader community.
- Ensure prompt and effective responses to member communications and provide support for Chamber Board members as they engage on key Chamber efforts.
- Represent the Chamber on key committees, task forces and community efforts, and stand-in for the President & CEO when conflicts prevent her attendance at certain commitments, appearances and meetings in the community.
- This position also works with other Chamber departments to address member and community needs and performs other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
A great candidate:
Click here for more information.
- Has a record of success in strategic planning, branding and message development, and reputation management.
- Has a strong understanding of local, regional, and statewide politics and policy issues.
- Has experience in media relations, including public relations campaigns and crisis communications.
- Is strong team leader who is interested in developing staff.
- Has experience working with diverse stakeholders on complex topics. Membership organization experience is a plus.
- Has excellent organizational, analytical, verbal, and written communication abilities.
- Likes working in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment.
- Is great at follow-through and anticipating challenges.
- Is committed to building sustainable, inclusive, healthy communities