OutRight Action International is seeking a visionary development professional who is passionate about LGBTIQ rights; thrives in a dynamic and diverse culture; and who can enthusiastically join our team to elevate our presence on the West Coast. The West Coast Development Director has experience fundraising for programs and organizations focused on human rights, LGBTIQ rights, international relations, or a related field. They are a self-starter and skilled at managing and building relationships.
The position is located on the West Coast of the United States, preferably in the Bay Area but other West Coast communities like Los Angeles, northern California or Seattle, where OutRight has established strategic partnerships with donor communities will also be considered. Reporting to the Deputy Executive Director, the West Coast Development Director will be a lead force managing OutRight’s fundraising and strategic partnerships on the West Coast. They will collaborate across the organization to maintain and cultivate strong donor relationships.
About OutRight Action International
Every day, LGBTI people’s human rights and dignity are abused worldwide in ways that shock the conscience. The stories of their struggles and their courageous resilience are astounding, yet remain largely unknown—or willfully ignored—by those with the power to make change. Activists stand up for their rights and put themselves at great danger around the world. We work to bring visibility to their struggles and expose the discrimination and violence they face and to push for change. We believe that without a groundswell of pressure these attacks on individuals’ fundamental dignity will continue unabated.
OutRight Action International (OutRight) was founded in 1990 and is guided by the values of collaboration and feminism. OutRight strives to support lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer (LGBTIQ) people to live safer, healthier, and more empowered lives worldwide. OutRight’s vision of change includes policy reform, legal challenges, coalition initiatives, and stronger LGBTIQ communities worldwide.
About the Position
The West Coast Development Director is a fulltime position and collaborates with colleagues to manage OutRight’s fundraising and strategic partnerships on the West Coast. The West Coast Development Director possesses the strategic vision, practical skills, and expertise to take a leading role in OutRight’s fundraising initiatives on the West Coast including the stewardship of new and existing donor relationships. Responsibilities will include the successful implementation of fundraising events in cities where OutRight has cultivated a significant donor base, including Los Angeles, the Bay Area, Sonoma, and Seattle as well as implementing events in cities “new” to OutRight. The West Coast Development Director reports to the Deputy Executive Director and is an integral part of the Development team.
Goals and Responsibilities
- Develop a West Coast fundraising strategy for OutRight together with Deputy Director and Development team.
- Implement the strategy
- Manage existing West Coast donor relationships and cultivate new relationships in conjunction with OutRight’s Deputy Executive Director and Executive Director.
- Successfully plan and implement annual fundraisers in key cities, including but not limited to Los Angeles, the Bay Area, Sonoma, and Seattle. This includes collaboration with OutRight’s Communication team to develop all promotional materials and related media outreach.
- Expand OutRight’s network of donors to new cities on the West Coast.
- Build partnerships with community leaders and philanthropists to promote OutRight’s work.
- Strategize across departments to secure speaking engagements for OutRight program staff to donor communities.
- Collaborate with OutRight’s Development team to strategize and promote significant donation campaigns, including Give Out Day, Giving Tuesday, and end-of-year giving.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a related field, including at least 5 years of experience in non-profit fundraising. They will have experience with the successful development and implementation of fundraising strategies, individual donor cultivation, and event planning.
External Relations and Donor Stewardship:
- Creative thinker and someone who is comfortable prospecting, cultivating and managing individual donor relationships at high-value and grassroots levels.
- Experience working with high-net worth individuals.
- Experience of planning and implementing fundraising events and their follow-up
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, knowledge of Google Docs, and experience working with donor tracking databases.
- Preferred experience of Facebook, Twitter, and other social media outlets as tools for individual donor cultivation and event promotion
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to take initiative and work independently, and also as a dependable team player.
- Excellent organizational, writing, and proofreading skills.
- Strong problem solving and decision making skills
Passion and Commitment:
- Willingness to travel among West Coast cities.
- Passionate about international LGBTIQ rights
How to Apply
Interested candidates should e-mail a cover letter explaining how your skills and background fit this position and a resume/CV to email@example.com. Please refer to “West Coast Development Director” in the subject line.
OutRight is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Women, People of Color, and transgender/gender-variant individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application Deadline: September 3, 2017.