Phinney Neighborhood Association
Administrative Assistant Job Announcement, 21.25 hours a week
Phinney Neighborhood Association Mission
The mission of the Phinney Neighborhood Association (PNA) is to build, engage, and support our diverse community through programs, services, and activities that connect neighbors and foster civic engagement.
The PNA is committed to building a culture of equity and inclusion, believing that a diversity of staff, Board, and programming is essential to achieving our mission. We are looking for someone who is willing to work with and challenge this organization and the community to be our most respectful, accepting, and sympathetic selves.
We are seeking an Administrative Assistant to cover the evening position. The hours are Monday through Friday 5:45 pm-10 pm, with the end time occasionally extending to 10:15 pm. This position is responsible for independently closing the Phinney Center Campus buildings for the day. Our dynamic workspace welcomes all members of the community, while providing information about the PNA activities. By building strong relationships, with effective communication, you will support renters, visitors and staff. General administrative duties include but aren’t limited to responding to phone calls, emails, using MS Office and processing payments as needed. Having a positive attitude, welcoming demeanor and a sense of humor is vital when working closely with the public. This position reports to the Central Office Manager.
- Maintain the Phinney Center as a welcoming space and provide access as needed for renters, lease tenants, PNA programs, and events.
- Develop knowledge of the PNA to assist community members regarding rentals, memberships, events, and programs.
- Perform daily administrative duties and other administrative projects as assigned.
- Ensure the safety and security of the center and visitors.
- Independently close the buildings at night.
- Support basic information technology (IT) and audio-visual (AV) needs for staff, programs, and renters.
- One to two years administrative assistant experience with a strong customer service background
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Aptitude to support internal IT & AV needs for staff and renters
- Experience working in a community center or nonprofit setting preferred
- Embrace working with a broad spectrum of community members and staff
- Knowledge of Microsoft 365 suite and internet
- Excellent decision making and critical thinking skills
- Team-orientation and appreciation for community-building mission of the PNA
- Ability to work in an open office environment, dynamic collaborative team setting, as well as working independently
- Position requires occasional lifting of up to 25 pounds, including room set-up and take down, and ability to climb stairs and walk between buildings on Phinney Center campus
- Current CPR/First Aid certification or ability to obtain within the first month of hire
- Ability to pass national criminal background check
This is a 21.25 hour per week Monday through Friday position paying $17.50-$19.50/hour DOE. Benefits include: health insurance; 401(k) plan with employer match; long‐term disability insurance; a flexible spending account; self-paid Aflac products; a free PNA household membership with reduced costs for classes and room rentals; 3 weeks personal time off the first year, increasing annually; Christmas Eve – New Year’s Day off; and 8 paid holidays (total paid time off first year: 5.5 weeks). We offer a convivial, positive, and flexible working environment.
About the Phinney Neighborhood Association
Headquartered in a former elementary school, the PNA has developed an active community center that not only serves as a focus of the Phinney/Greenwood neighborhood, but also offers programs and activities that reach far beyond the immediate neighborhood, at four different sites in Phinney, Greenwood, and Ballard. Current programs include two preschool cooperatives, a licensed preschool and school age program at Whittier Elementary School, a hot meal program, the Greenwood Senior Center, PNA Village, a tool lending library, a business membership program, family memberships, room rentals, and countless special events that bring friends and neighbors together. We co-sponsor a summer farmers market, weekly folk music concerts, and other community events. The PNA serves over 23,000 people each year, has 70 staff, 1,100 volunteers, and an annual budget of $3.6 million. The PNA is an Equal Opportunity Employer working towards a culturally diverse work place. Applicants representing the diversity of our community are encouraged to apply.
Please email a resume and a cover letter that indicates your interest and how you meet the minimum qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org or upload at phinneycenter.org/jobs. Position is open until filled.