Boots to Business Trainer and Business Coach
Jun 17, 2021
For more information please visit: https://www.indeed.com/job/boots-business-trainer-and-business-coach-db1be7928d6168c3
Business Impact NW is one of the leading non-profit community development financial and business assistance organizations in the Pacific Northwest. Our work supports the economic development of marginalized communities by offering access to capital, training, and support to grow small businesses throughout Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Alaska. For more information about BIN’s history, mission, and programs for women, BIPOC, LGBTQ+, immigrant, and veteran business owners, please see our website: www.businessimpactnw.org.
What it is Like to Work for Business Impact NW:
Business Impact NW works hard to serve our clients while maintaining a healthy work-life balance and positive team-oriented atmosphere. Our strategic framework revolves around building trusted relationships, providing equal opportunity, valuing contributions, community impact, and financial stability. Our team consists of 36 diverse employees that reflect the populations we serve, plus a corps of contractors and an engaged Board of Directors.
The Region X Veterans Business Outreach Center (VBOC) is a program of Business Impact NW (BIN), one of Washington State’s leading community development and business assistance organizations. The Region X VBOC at Business Impact NW is part of a network of approximately 22 centers nationwide, and covers the territory of Alaska, Washington, Oregon and Idaho, providing Boots to Business Training and Coaching. VBOC provides entrepreneurial development services such as business training, counseling and mentoring, and referrals for veterans and military spouses owning or considering starting a small business. Through the management and technical assistance provided, veteran and military spouse entrepreneurs are offered comprehensive training and counseling on a variety of topics. Through VBOC’s partnership with BIN and the Small Business Administration (SBA), the organization provides access to capital, invests in people and their communities to create economic equity, jobs, and wealth for entrepreneurs.
The primary responsibility of this position will be coordination and delivery of the on-site and virtual training program for the Boots to Business program throughout the Region. The Boots to Business is a two-day entrepreneurial education and training program offered by the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) as part of the Department of Defense’s Transition Assistance Program (TAP). The curriculum continuum includes steps for evaluating business concepts, the foundational knowledge required to develop a business plan and information on SBA resources available to help access start-up capital and additional technical assistance. The Boots to Business Trainer will be responsible for both on-site as well as virtual training of this program throughout Region X and in conjunction with other VBOCs on virtual platforms. Trainings are regularly scheduled throughout the year at NAS Whidbey, NS Everett, JBLM Tacoma, NBK Bangor, NBK Bremerton, and Fairchild AFB. The person in this position may also need to travel to Alaska, Idaho and/or Oregon on occasion to fill in for trainings and outreach. We anticipate 2-3 trainings a month and job candidates must be available for overnight travel to trainings outside the candidate’s home base.
The secondary responsibility of this position will to be to support overall program objectives through one-on-one business consulting and program outreach. Our VBOC business consultants act as advisors, coaches and teachers in all aspects of starting and managing a small business, providing entrepreneurs with the technical skills and access to the resources they need to start, improve, sustain, and grow their businesses. Assistance may range from general counseling to the identification, analysis, and resolution of specific business problems. Typical counseling areas include (but are not limited to) starting, business plan development, financing, accounting, marketing, operations, and preparing loan application packages. Outreach for the VBOC program includes but not limited to attending local workshops, conferences, job fairs, and events with the objective to increase VBOC program awareness. Responsibilities will include other duties as assigned. Candidate will be required to obtain accreditation at VBOC expense, within 90 days of hire.
Duties include but are not limited to:
• Delivery of the Boots to Business 2-day curriculum on installations throughout Washington, Idaho, Oregon and occasionally Alaska.
• Coordinate all base access and guest speakers with on base managers.
• Timely documentation of all recording keeping required for the Boots to Business program, client meetings, and SBA record keeping.
• Assisting clients with business plan design, including creating financial projections, budgeting, general accounting, break-even analysis, preparing loan packages, and preparing financial statements.
• Assisting the Director in designing, marketing, and delivering training, including Orientation, small business and entrepreneurship classes, and workshops. Work with program staff to ensure program quality, including curricula, instructors and staff.
• Assisting the Director in compiling reports for various funding entities, including the SBA
• Assisting the team in implementing marketing and outreach to attract clients and volunteers.
• Developing a working relations with other small business service providers and economic development agencies
• Staying relevant in business expertise
Skillset that Includes (but is not limited to):
• Organization Alignment
• Client Focus (External) • Accountability
• BA/A.A. or Equivalent Professional Experience in this field
• A minimum of 2 years experience in small business ownership either owning or working for a small business, banking, economic development, or community development preferred
• Experience working with the veteran and military spouse community, as well as other diverse population including women, people of color, immigrants and refugees, or disadvantaged business owners
• Ability to travel overnight
• Reside in the State where this job is posted
• BA in Business, Accounting, Entrepreneurship, or related field preferred (Experience may substitute for education at discretion of hiring committee)
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Amazing trainer and presenter
• Experience includes financial analysis, marketing, and business plan development
• Confidence meeting with clients
• Excellent multi-tasking, organization, and prioritization skills
• High attention to detail and ability to complete tasks on time
• Ability to processes, policies, and procedures
• Self-starter, self-directed, and resourceful, able to work independently with minimal supervision and able to handle a high level of responsibility
Schedule & Location:
• 40 hours per week, 8:30am-5pm
• Based at 1437 S Jackson Street, Seattle WA 98144
• Working mostly or semi-remotely in WA state can be accommodated (even after COVID restriction are lifted)
$50,000, Full Time Exempt
Generous benefits include:
• 100% paid employee medical, dental and vision plans
• Paid holidays, including all federal holidays and the week between Christmas and New Years
• Paid vacation time off
• Paid sick days
• 403b retirement account
• Professional development allowance
• Commuter benefits
• Adoption assistance
• Health Savings Account •Voluntary supplemental medical benefits: Disability, Life, and Personal Accident insurance
• Flex time
• A great and diverse workplace culture
Priority Application Due Date: June 30, 2021 Preferred Start Date: July 15, 2021
To apply please submit resume through job listing on Indeed: https://www.indeed.com/job/boots-business-trainer-and-business-coach-db1be7928d6168c3
Position open until filled. All candidates are subject to a background check.
Business Impact NW is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.