Director of Human Resources
Jul 2, 2021
Job title: Director of Human Resources
Program/s: 710 Hours/Week: 40
Reports to: CEO
Salary Range: - DOE $72,000-74,000
The purpose of the Director of Human Resources position is to oversee the day-to-day functions and strategic operations of the Human Resources department at Cocoon House. This role has the opportunity to work with over 100 dedicated employees who are all working to help break the cycle of homelessness for teens and young people in Snohomish County. The Director of HR plays a vital role in our mission by supporting staff, management and the leadership team by supporting the crucial HR infrastructure needed to move our mission forward.
Duties and responsibilities
• Performs a vital role in staff training and development, managing benefits, compensation and overall employment strategies.
• Provides supervision of the HR Manager and ensuring the job functions of that role are performed.
• Responsible for overseeing all agency recruiting and on-boarding and exit functions.
• Responsible for creating, updating and revising policies, procedures and the Employee Handbook as needed and by reinforcing a culture reflective of our mission and values.
• Responsible for supporting staff in HR-related issues by coaching, advising and when necessary directing and/or taking the lead on actions regarding important employee related issues.
• Oversees and provides direct support and coaching around employee relations in close partnership with management and the executive leadership team
• Manage the execution and evaluation of all compensation and benefit programs.
• Actively and accurately maintains internal HR and staff databases as required (Paylocity).
• Analyze and identify areas of needed agency risk management and provide recommendations to the CEO for implementation.
• Directs areas for improvement in internal employee processes along with possible solutions.
• Responsible for all employee L&I, FMLA and Family Leave tracking and administration. • Plays an active role in baking Equity, Diversity and Inclusion into the agency culture
• Participates or leads strategic plan initiatives.
• Other duties as assigned by CEO.
• Must have strong coaching, teaching, facilitation and organization skills, with a solid track record of developing organizational and individual capabilities
• Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources and 5+ years of increasing Human Resources positions, or 10+ years of Management and Strategic level Human Resources experience or any combination that supports this senior level position.
• Possess and demonstrate excellent analytical and critical thinking skills to address situations, troubleshoot, and make recommendations from both strategic and tactical perspectives while keeping overall mission in view
• Comfortable with multiple HMIS systems; Paylocity a plus
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Possess and demonstrate the ability to lead and facilitate meetings and interviews with management, internal clients and staff to define, establish, and document business objectives and requirements, and foster communication.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• The ability to function effectively independently or within a team environment with limited supervision.
• Highly organized and possess the ability to support multiple projects and balance priorities.
• Mobility: ability to sit for long periods, move about an office, stand occasionally, reach above and below desk level
• Dexterity: fine manipulation sufficient to operate a keyboard, handle individual papers, write and take notes
• Lifting: occasional lifting of papers, files, equipment and material weighing up to 25 pounds
• Visual Requirements: close vision sufficient to read files, documents, and computer screens and do close-up work; ability to adjust focus frequently
• Hearing/Talking: ability to hear typical speech, speak and hear on the telephone, and speak in person
• Emotional/Psychological Factors: ability to make decisions and concentrate; frequent contact with others including some public contact; frequent deadlines and time-limited assignments
• Must have the ability to run up and down indoor and outdoor stairwells in case of youth emergency.
• Communicate effectively with youth, staff, other programs, vendors and the public, both orally and in writing.
• Hear voice conversations and alarms.
• Possess close vision, far vision, side vision, depth perception, visual ability to read a variety of materials.
• Dexterity of hands and fingers to reach, handle and operate telephone, computer keyboard, record information in appropriate youth files and logs.
Cocoon House will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified persons with disabilities if requested.
Closing Statements and Signatures
Responsibilities, duties, and qualifications for the position—written in earlier paragraphs—are substantial, but not all-inclusive conditions for employment. We are a team that works together to meet the needs of our clients and every member of the team is expected to pitch in and help even beyond the specific responsibilities listed in this description.
Employee needs to deal effectively with pressure, meeting multiple, sometimes competing deadlines, and shall at all times demonstrate cooperative behavior.
Acknowledgement of Receipt of Job Description:
I acknowledge I have received a copy of this job description. I understand the duties, am fully able to meet the requirements and perform the essential functions of this position, with or without reasonable accommodations. I further acknowledge and understand this job description does not create an employment contract, and nothing contained herein alters my at-will employment status.
Employee Name (Please Print) Employee Signature, Date
It always has been and continues to be Cocoon House’s policy that employees should be able to enjoy a work environment free from all forms of unlawful employment discrimination. All decisions regarding recruiting, hiring, promotion, assignment, training, termination, and other terms and conditions of employment will be made without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, disability, work-related injury claim, veteran status, political ideology, or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. Individuals will be selected for promotion based on skill and ability