Phinney Neighborhood Association Mission
The mission of the Phinney Neighborhood Association (PNA) is to build, engage, and support our diverse community through programs, services, and activities that connect neighbors and foster civic engagement.
The PNA is committed to building a culture of equity and inclusion, believing that a diversity of staff, Board, and programming is essential to achieving our mission. We are looking for someone who is willing to work with and challenge this organization and the community to be our most respectful, accepting, and sympathetic selves.
The Staff Accountant is responsible for timely and accurate recording and reporting of financial activities for the organization. Responsibilities include Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable, general accounting and reconciliations, preparing monthly financials statements, and running Payroll. This position is the owner and expert on the PNA accounting system (Sage 50) and the payroll system (Paylocity). This staff interacts with staff in all departments and provides assistance and training regarding accounting policies and procedures. The Staff Accountant supports the annual audit process with preparation of schedules and other materials. This position is primarily in person, but provides the opportunity to work remotely occasionally which will be discussed and decided with your supervisor upon hire. This position reports to the Associate Director.
- Manage organizational accounting activities, accounts receivable, accounts payable, journal entries, fixed asset records, and monthly and annual close processes.
- Prepare financial statements including cash flow statement and supporting schedules.
- Process monthly payroll and benefit enrollments.
- Prepare and file monthly, quarterly, and annual payroll tax returns and licenses as needed.
- Support the annual audit process with preparation of schedules and other materials.
- Complete monthly bank reconciliations.
- Perform general ledger account reconciliations and analysis of general ledger balances as needed.
- Provide support to Associate Director in preparation of budgets and preparation of financial information for the Board of Directors and Finance Committee.
- Assist in training regarding accounting policies and procedures.
- Participate in special projects as needed.
- BA/BS, preferably in accounting or business, but related coursework and experience accepted
- 2 years of relevant nonprofit accounting experience and knowledge of GAAP
- Payroll experience that includes processing, recording, reconciling, and reporting
- Proficiency with accounting software required (Sage 50 preferred), payroll software (Paylocity preferred) and intermediate Excel skills
- Proven self-starter with high standards for accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage competing demands while meeting deadlines
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and ability to work well with others
- Ability to work independently, exercising discretion and independent judgment, with strong problem solving skills
- Ability to work in an open and active office environment
- Team-orientation and appreciation for community-building mission of the PNA
- Position requires occasional lifting of up to 25 pounds and ability to climb stairs
- Ability to pass national criminal background check
This is 30-40 hour per week position, working Monday through Friday and the starting pay is $26.50-$33.00 per hour DOE. Benefits include: health insurance; 401(k) plan with employer match; long‐term disability insurance; a flexible spending account; self-paid Aflac products; a free PNA household membership with reduced costs for classes and room rentals; 3 weeks personal time off the first year, increasing annually; Christmas Eve – New Year’s Day off; and 8 paid holidays (total paid time off first year: 5.5 weeks). We offer a convivial, positive, and flexible working environment.
About the Phinney Neighborhood Association
Headquartered in a former elementary school, the PNA has developed an active community center that not only serves as a focus of the Phinney/Greenwood neighborhood, but offers programs and activities that reach far beyond the immediate neighborhood, at five different sites in Phinney, Greenwood, and Ballard. Current programs include three preschool cooperatives, a licensed preschool and school age program at Whittier Elementary School, a hot meal program, the Greenwood Senior Center, PNA Village, an art gallery, a tool lending library, a business membership program, family memberships, room rentals, and countless special events that bring friends and neighbors together. We co-sponsor a summer farmers market and weekly contra dancing and folk music concerts. The PNA serves over 27,000 people each year, has 70 staff, 1,300 volunteers, and an annual budget of $2.5 million. The PNA is an Equal Opportunity Employer working towards a culturally-diverse work place. Applicants representing the diversity of our community are encouraged to apply.
Please email a cover letter indicating your interest, how you meet the minimum qualifications, and a resume to email@example.com. This position is open until filled.