Throughout the year, GSBA scholars have access to several leadership development workshops and scholar community building events which are all a part of the Leadership Academy. The cornerstone of the Leadership Academy is the annual Leadership Immersion weekend. During this August weekend, scholars engage in workshops facilitated by GSBA business members, former GSBA scholars, elected officials, and other community leaders.
By participating in the GSBA Leadership Academy, scholars will:
- Define what leadership means to them.
- Articulate their own strengths and asks.
- Seek out opportunities for personal and professional growth.
- Describe their own intersections of gender, sexual orientation, race, class, ability and how these experiences shape their leadership and values as an LGBTQ+ leader.
- Leverage available resources to meet their unique needs.
- Build community with fellow GSBA scholars (past and present), GSBA staff, and the broader GSBA membership as a network of support.
- Identify resources and methods of finding support within their educational and professional communities.
- Recognize ways to stay engaged with the GSBA Scholarship Program with the understanding that “once a scholar, always a scholar”.
As a part of their scholarship, GSBA scholars receive a complementary membership with the GSBA chamber of commerce. Established in 1981, GSBA is Washington State's LGBTQ and allied chamber of commerce, and the largest of its kind in North America. We represent over 1,300 small business, corporate and nonprofit members who share GSBA’s values of promoting equality and diversity in the workplace. As a part of their membership, scholars receive:
- Complimentary access to GSBA networking events.
- Connection to the LGBTQ nonprofit community.
- Complimentary registration to dozens of workshops and webinars
- Subscription to online Perspective magazine