Since 1976, Capitol Hill Housing (CHH) has worked alongside the community to build and preserve housing affordable to working families and promote the qualities that make Seattle a vibrant and engaged city. Today, CHH provides secure, affordable homes to over 2,200 of our neighbors across the city while working to make our neighborhoods safer, healthier and more equitable through the Capitol Hill EcoDistrict.
The Capitol Hill Housing Foundation (CHHF) is an independent nonprofit organization that raises funds to sustain general operations at Capitol Hill Housing, meet capital and programmatic needs, and communicate Capitol Hill Housing’s mission, needs and successes to stakeholders and to the community.
Capitol Hill Housing seeks a full-time writer to support our communications and grantwriting efforts. We are seeking a skilled storyteller to clearly communicate our mission and programs for multiple ends, including demonstrating the impact of our work and attracting funding that includes unrestricted operating revenue and capital for specific projects. This position will also support communications and fund development for the Capitol Hill EcoDistrict
and other projects as assigned by the Sustainability and Planning Department which will be approximately 50% of the weekly allocation of time. This position will be supervised by the Senior Communications Manager.
This position requires experience communicating an organization’s mission to diverse audiences, a knowledge of our local grant funding landscape, verbal creativity, strong organizational skills and an ability to prioritize as well as multi-task. Some characteristics this person will need to demonstrate are: strong writing and verbal communication skills, initiative, self-direction, flexibility, strong attention to detail, a sense of humor, grace under pressure, diplomacy and ingenuity. Occasional evening hours will be required.
- Help implement a monthly editorial calendar by identifying and collecting stories of CHH’s work and preparing them to be shared on multiple mediums (printed materials, e-newsletters, social media, etc.).
- Update website content, including drafting and posting blog posts/updates.
- Conduct resident interviews, photo shoots and write up profiles for inclusion in marketing and outreach.
- Provide copywriting support for marketing and fundraising materials including: annual reports, invitations and fundraising appeals.
Grantwriter and grants management responsibilities:
- Learn and understand Capitol Hill Housing history and programs and be able to articulate a compelling case for funding.
- Perform prospect research on public and private grant opportunities to evaluate prospects and document these opportunities.
- Maintain calendar to ensure timely submission of letters of inquiry and proposal deadlines.
- Using an inquiry based model, acquire needed programmatic information and craft compelling narratives for grant proposals.
- Prepare and submit grant proposals and letters of inquiry to foundation, corporate and government sources.
- Ensure prompt acknowledgement of foundation gifts.
- Prepare and submit reports and other documents required by funders.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills:
Click here for more information.
- Commitment to racial and economic diversity, social justice, and affordable housing a must.
- Bachelor’s degree or record of work in a related discipline with a minimum of three years of related experience.
- Experience generating print and electronic communications, updating web copy and design, and creating public relations messages and collateral.
- Excellent computer and technology skills including proficiency with WordPress website management, CRM and email programs, and social media. Experience with Constant Contact and Salesforce preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to craft winning public and private funding proposals for nonprofits (Preference for successful track record in affordable housing and/or community development grant seeking).
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Proficiency in researching, interpreting and analyzing diverse data.
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, and highly organized.
- Knowledge of local, state and national funding sources.
- Knowledge and familiarity with prospect research techniques and resources.
- The ability to operate efficiently and gracefully under pressure of deadlines.