As a chamber of commerce by and for the LGBTQ+ community and its allies, the policy work of GSBA is centered around two main areas: Civil Rights and Economic Prosperity. With the GSBA Scholarship Fund, Education is another important policy area for the organization. GSBA remains a leader in the LGBTQ community as well as in the business community, providing an important and unique voice and perspective.
GSBA’s top priorities will always be the areas where LGBTQ+ civil rights and economic development intersect, where our expertise is the strongest. Due to the diverse needs of a broad membership organization and participation in a variety of coalitions, many other related issues will arise. GSBA’s first priority will always be those issues with a particular impact on the LGBTQ+ community, and will next prioritize based on where our voice is unique, our expertise is relevant, or our affinity is particularly strong. GSBA often works in coalition with allied organizations and communities, and will frequently sign on in support of their efforts where others are leading the policy fight.
Proud of our role as a convener and as a nonpartisan constructive voice, GSBA will strive to be present at any negotiating table that our capacity allows. GSBA’s goals always include the creation of good policy over politics.
GSBA’s advocacy work as the progressive business voice in Washington is guided by the following principles:
- Advance economic and educational equity, access, and opportunity for the LGBTQ+ community and all historically disenfranchised communities
- Center racial equity in our decision making, with a focus on LGBTQ+ Black, Indigenous, and People of Color; and equity for the trans and nonbinary communities.
- Expand, protect, and promote equality, equity, and civil rights for all.
- Promote the vitality and development of small businesses
- Foster active and informed civic engagement
Find our who are your elected officials and register to vote or update your registration at MyVote
(part of the Washington Secretary of State's office).