IT Service Desk Engineer I
Please visit our careers page to learn more and apply online: https://careers-fhcrc.icims.com/jobs/20522/it-service-desk-engineer-i/job
Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
At Fred Hutch, we believe that the innovation, collaboration, and rigor that result from diversity and inclusion are critical to our mission of eliminating cancer and related diseases. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an antiracist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, antiracism, and inclusion.
Do you love technology and help customers? Are you seeking a role where you can have immediate impact? Do you thrive in agile environments?
The Fred Hutch Center IT Service Desk team is looking for a IT Service Desk Engineer I to make a big impact on our customers. We are seeking a candidate who is customer service centric, with excellent communication skills who has the willingness to go the distance to support our customers. The qualified candidate is passionate about installation, troubleshooting, administration, and support of desktop and laptop computers, peripherals, printers, mobile devices, pagers, and all related endpoint hardware and software office and laboratory settings on the campus.
As an IT Service Desk Engineer I, you will work closely with the Hutch community to deliver high quality customer service and technical support. The ideal candidate for this position is customer-focused and technically-strong. They will resolve a wide variety of computing-related problems and provide end users with complete client-side solutions. The Service Desk Engineer I reports to the IT Operations Manager.
- Answering incoming calls, emails, and walk-up requests for IT and technical support
- Providing remote access and desk-side support as necessary
- Recording incidents and request in the ticketing system including capturing request details, assessing impact, and applying priority and categorization
- Managing and resolving tickets in the queue within established Service Level Agreements (SLAs)
- Maintaining communications with customers and providing consistent status of assigned tickets
- Publishing and maintaining documentation in the team knowledge base
- Participating in IT projects and initiatives as necessary
- Working with the IT Operations Manager to obtain quotes and place orders for IT equipment
- Participating in on-call rotation to provide after-hours emergency support
- Provides excellent customer service with high degree of professionalism
- Ability to learn and retain new information and skills
- Collaborate effectively with team members to identify and work toward solutions
- Manage multiple tasks and priorities
- Minimum 2+ years of Enterprise IT service desk/desktop support experience
- Proficiency in troubleshooting, problem solving, diagnosing hardware and software issues
- In-depth knowledge of Windows 10, and Mac OSX operating systems in an Enterprise domain environment and capable of installing, troubleshooting, and configuring the OS
- In-depth knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft 365 suite
- Moderate knowledge of Active Directory and security groups
- Strong knowledge of peripheral and accessory/adapter hardware
- Strong knowledge of mobile device (iOS, Android) configuration and support
- Proficiency in providing remote support through RDP or other remote control software
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated passion for technology
- Working knowledge of JAMF, Linux is preferred
- Certifications such as Network +, Security +, Dell, Apple, CCNA, MTA, CompTIA A+ etc. are preferred
- Bachelor's or Associate degree, or equivalent work experience
Working conditions and physical requirements
- Service Desk covers 8AM-5PM, Monday-Friday, various shift work expected, subject to change
- Limited overtime, evening, weekend, and holiday hours
- Occasional on-call, after-hours rotation
- Ability to lift and transport computers, monitors, and printers up to 30 pounds
Fred Hutch has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine requirement, with exceptions only for approved medical or religious accommodations.
As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must provide proof of vaccination or initiate the accommodations process before their first day of employment.
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 206-667-4700.